What is your search engine optimization (SEO) strategy? An effective SEO strategy is informed by optimal keywords, blog content, and content promotion across the blogosphere. The first step in search engine optimization (SEO) is identifying optimal keywords. Our team of SEO experts created step-by-step instructions to help your company determine the keywords you should be optimizing:
1. Determine the topic. On a sheet of paper, write the top 10 phrases that best describe your product offering. If you’re a marketer, it might be “marketing experts,” “online marketing,” “digital marketing strategies,” “marketing plans,” etc.
2. Go to Google’s Keyword tool. Use Google AdWords Keyword tool to identify the search demand for your topics. Although Google AdWords is geared towards search engine marketing campaigns, it can also be used for SEO purposes.
3. Enter keywords that relate to your topics — with a space between topics. Input the top three keyword phrases most relevant to your product or services. Make sure you are searching the geography most relevant to your product or service (e.g. United States), then click search.
4. Organize keywords by global search volume. Google AdWords will print-out a list of related keywords and phrases based on your query. In the top navigation, organize by local search volume to determine those keywords most interesting to your target audience.
5. Find keywords with an average search volume of 20,000 and 40,000. Any more could be too competitive and any lower doesn’t provide adequate search volume to target.
6. Search optimal keywords in Google. (Tip) Is there stiff competition for your keywords? Some SEO experts posit page rank (PR) plays a critical role in Google search results. Therefore, if CNN, Business.com, Forbes.com are in the top ten, the likelihood of your small business breaking through is minimal.
Tip: Log out of your Gmail account, as results can be skewed by past search history. For example, Google will rank Mashable higher in search results if your browsing history indicates you enjoy the site.
Image by rayudu NVS from Stock.Xchng