How to Design a Web Site
in Digital Marketing | by Admin
How to design a web site? That’s a common question as web sites are increasingly a central communication point to customers and prospects. When deciding how to design a web site, remember that great web design blends art, technology, and strategy, so it appeals to customers as both attractive and user friendly. Below, we have shared tips on how to design a functional web site that encourages visitors to take action and makes your increases the impact of your online exposure.
• Design with purpose: The goals and objectives of your web site should be clearly understood before the design process begins. Determine the key actions that you want your user to take and the top messages that the user should come away with. Many web designers have general templates and layouts used across a variety of web sites. While this may make for an appealing display, templates don’t always work towards your goals. Create design elements with purpose for a more effective web design.
• Gain knowledge through example: The next facet of determining how to design a web site involves a bit of research. Discovering what your competitors, in addition to companies in other industries, are doing online is a productive method of gaining perspective and directing internal initiatives. Taking a step back and looking at a variety of templates and examples will inspire ideas, boost creativity, and guide your future web design.
• Aim for functionality without clutter: While design is certainly an important element of how to design a web site, functionality is king. Content should be clearly communicated, easy to access, readable, and straightforward. Use space wisely to display your content in a manner that gets attention and gets the message across. Your user should understand exactly what your site is about within seconds. The Murray & Murray web site is a prime example of a functional balance.
• Select the right color themes: Establishing a proper color palette for your web site is another chief feature in learning how to design a web site effectively. Color themes are an additional way to display your site’s purpose to the consumer. Often times, simplicity is the key to successful color themes, meaning less colors and more rationale. For instance, using bright, loud colors for an elementary school web site would probably attract the appropriate audience. Further, creating a level on contrast between foreground and background will ease user navigation within your site. For inspiration, check out our free brand color palette tool.
• Use text wisely: Font size seems like a no-brainer; however, text matters and holds significant weight your site’s communication. The default size for normal in-site text is 12pt. For practical purposes in web site design, font size should be readable, clear, and not strain the eyes. To that end, text weight is another factor critical to legible text. Make sure your text is bold enough to read fluidly, without bringing excess attention to itself (unless that is the intention). Lastly, line-height (the spacing between lines and paragraphs) must lend itself to easy reading and appealing display.
Your web site enables you to directly communicate with current and future customers. Our talented team of designers and programmers leverage current platforms to design dynamic web sites. To learn more about how to design a web site, contact the Sparxoo team for a free consultation.
Get hands-on learning experience with online web design classes.