All About Gen Z
Generation Z already? You better believe it! Although this is the generation still being born, they are already heavily influencing the current and future spending trends. Younger children are already influenced by the digital era and are fully immersed in the wide range of entertainment provided through mobile. Parents too are now using mobile devices to entertain their children, keeping them busy and quiet. The convenience that digital devices offer both adults and children are growing by each generation. With high exposure to news and media, this generation Z is growing up more aware and alert of the world around them. In other words, Z’s are growing up much faster than generations of the past. This generation is fully immersed in gaming and social connections far beyond generation Y.
Since this generation ranges from the early 1990’s to currently being born, there is a significant age gap, but their characteristics are still very similar. Entirely dependent upon technology, they work and behave differently (as consumers and employees) since they grew up in an entirely different world from baby boomers. Gen Z is said to have a more “realistic” approach to life when compared to Gen Y’s “aspirational” or “optimistic” outlook.
Why Should Brands Care About Gen Z?
- They are impacting the market: Generation Z has statistically spent more than any past generation at their age. This being said, teens and preteens have the most substantial impact on the economy and are more likely to “like” their favorite brands on social media outlets. Unlike other generations, Z’s are image focused, meaning they are drawn to media with photos and are more likely to interpret abstract symbols and logos.
- They are the influencers: Generation Z is projected to have a major influence on the market, and rely almost entirely on ecommerce and digital. With the back to school season just around the corner, ecommerce is said to have the higher traffic than ever before. Despite Generation Z being young, they influence the market.
- They want the latest & greatest: Smart brands are ahead of the curve, and are already impacting this young generation. As for small children, advertisers have it easy. Parents are the customers, but the child is the consumer. This means that young children who “have to have” the newest digital gadgets are influencing what purchases are made this season.
- They’re looking for deals: This is where ecommerce comes in. The convenience that mobile offers makes ecommerce only that much more enticing. Companies that offer free shipping and next day delivery are simply adding value to their brands.
- They appreciate value-added brands: Gen Z’s personality, attitude and perspective towards a brand is greatly influenced by media messages through advertising. A successful brand targeting Generation Z is intuitive to the needs of this generation. Being aware of a connected and seamless world of friends and entertainment offers brands the ability to reach their target in entirely new manner.
- They want quick and easy: When relying on ecommerce for their shopping needs, promotions and free shipping lures them in. Brands that are dedicated to the cause (emphasizing niche markets) are more likely to be a success by directly targeting one industry of consumers. Pay attention brands! Generation Z’s are far less brand loyal – looking for the best deals, the most convenience and the next best option. So as a brand looking to target this up-and-coming generation, stay top of mind and adapt quickly.
“As an advertiser, your primary goal should be focused on pulling in an online presence and offering incentives.”
Although Generation Z may create more challenges for advertisers, brands can reach this generation by proving they are reliable and add value. Instilling confidence in this generation can help brands develop a fan base. Having grown up amidst major innovation and social change, Z’s are inquisitive and globally conscious. Although young, they are already affecting the market by offering suggestions, solving problems, and proving their savvy understanding. Gen Z is growing up in a world where technology is omnipresent, materialism is flourishing, and “happiness” is the definitive goal.